Sunday, July 19, 2015

Wrapped Intention: Fourth Week : Catherine Tutter

Sun Feb 26, 2012



Working in the space during the first, second and third weeks of 'Wrapped Intention' have brought me to this present framework of 'passage' as a point of departure.

Working in the dark, I Googled the word "passage" and located a citation for Arnold van Gennep's "The Rites of Passage." I transcribed onto mulberry paper the following quotation fragment from van Gennep, where he refers to an initial stage of separation from a previous world:

"...In the first phase, people withdraw from their current status and prepare to move from one place or status to another. The first phase (of separation) comprises symbolic behaviour signifying the detachment of the individual or group from an earlier fixed point in the social structure. There is often a detachment or "cutting away" from the former self in this phase, which is signified in symbolic actions and rituals."

After completing this transcription I proceeded to cut the paper into a continuous strip in preparation for spinning, thinking as I did so about the physical action of cutting and separating, focusing on the rhythmic sounds of the scissor blades as they severed my hand-written words of van Gennep, and recalled the dramatically short hair cut I received before marrying.