Saturday, July 18, 2015

Set of Improvisations in a Stairwell in NYC : Jane Wang

Sun Dec 20, 2009



Shizu&Jane Explorations Set #1

Saturday December 19th, 2009 - between 1 and 2:30pm

"improvisations by Shizu Homma and Jane Wang"    

click on link to view album of videos:
http://vimeo.com/album/157904

I got together with Shizu Homma whom I had met through new MAGs sara june and Max Lord at the New Year's Eve Zeroplan in 2008.

Shizu had just come from teaching a yoga class in Chelsea and I had finished playing a gig the night before in Brooklyn - with some anxiety about driving back to Boston before the reported blizzard would hit NYC.

We decided to videotape on my little ultra Flip video camera our first foray into improvisations together using various stairs in Hanne Tierney's building in NYC - Hanne is a performance artist who luckily moved into Soho back when it was really a place for artists instead of a shopping mecca for "Eurotrash" and well-heeled folks from New Jersey driving mammoth size gas guzzling vehicles..

performed and taken before the snowstorm hit on Dec 20, 2009

with an interruption first by a psychoanalyst on the 7th floor who wanted us to stop for reasons which I wasn't completely clear on but we stopped because i didn't to get Hanne into a pickle with her neighbors and well, perhaps it was an issue for the psychoanalyst's comfort level - interestingly enough she had no objection to our continuing on Hanne's floor (4th floor) although the sound would obviously carry up the stairwell.

it also got me thinking, if I were a psychoanalyst, would I really want my patients coming to the building where I live for their session??  Seems kind of risky to me -- even a little bizarre or maybe I've seen too many thrillers with imaginative plot lines.

and then a more friendly interruption by Irene Dowd who i later found out from Hanne Tierney:
"is a well know dance therapist (physical) has written a well-known book on the subject and teaches at Juilliard. She was probably very interested in what you were doing."

feedback more than welcome..

peace, aj