Sunday, July 19, 2015

Video Project Art: How it started... : Terra Friedrichs

Sat Dec 08, 2012

The idea for my video project art came to me while I was sitting at a music performance with my eyes closed. I was in a semi-dream state when I turned to my partner to tell of the images I was seeing. I realized that it was easier to film them and show him that to explain verbally. So I set out to figure out how to reconstruct my dreams.

Using projectors stretched along walls, ceilings and floors created a surreal image gallery which felt like a kaleidascope and came close to what I'd been dreaming.  So I decided to do a series of these "dream sequences" and now have an "album" of various spaces, themes, and moods that I present either as video projection art in and of itself, or as accompaniment to performers/bands/dancers, etc.  Some have referred to me as a VJ, as I change the video clips and/or the direction of the projectors to suit the mood of the room.

When Jane mentioned that the Mobius space would be dark for a few days over the holiday and offered that I could show, I jumped at the chance.  I've many pieces in process.  But my work in Occupy and the realization of our fragile our earth and societal constructs are, while still being extremely resilient inspired my pulling these pieces together for this run.

I hope you can make it on one of the performance nights, or to just stop by and see what's showing on the other nights.

Have a GREAT HOLIDAY month!  Seeya next year, hopefully!

T